Tuesday, March 16, 2010



Just when you think it's safe to come out of the down comforter~ there's March. A Cruel month by anyones standards. Teasingly warm at times it can also dump a foot of snow without even thinking about it.






March for me usually means lots of catching up on commission painting for those clients who return in spring to their second homes on the coast of Maine. This March however, I also find myself buried in a new body of work.



This new chapter has been brewing and bubbling beneath the surface for some time. And it has totally engulfed me and holds my attention-like a switch I can't shut off. Tugging and nagging at me when I can't give it my full attention....the ideas are flowing even as I sleep.




This episode in my creative life seems to have culminated as a result of my being a collector of sorts- though I can't stand clutter. I have all of these wooden boxes in my SeaWitch studio full of "finds" discovered on mandatory walks in the woods and along the shore with "the pugs." I often find beauty in odd things. Scooping up interesting rocks, spotting moss "growths" on tree branches--delighting in a bit of 200 year old barbed wire amazingly still sitting on a stonewall. Or- it may be as simple as the sound of a bird, fox or coyote that triggers a mental sketch in my mind.

I am so entwined with the past- it's history, the souls who walked these woods before me.... I'm reminded every day and feel fortunate to know I am just where I belong.....

Labels: ,